A small town girl born in Pincher Creek, Alberta and raised in Spokane, Washington, April Start moved to NYC at the age of 18 to pursue a promising music career. She immediately immersed herself in writing and recording what would be her debut record, Changes, self-released in 2006. Several songs from that CD were featured in hit Disney movies, such as Eddies Million Dollar Cook-Off and Zenon Z3, Guiding Light and the popular television show Cheerleader Nation. April’s distinctive voice can be heard on the theme to TLC’s Makeover Train. Her live performances have taken her to Pensacola, Florida (to open for the legendary Little Feat), across the states for NACA showcases, and to many top stages in NY and NJ. Right now, April is working on hit material for her upcoming CD, that is already getting accolades and placements:
• The positive, pop, teen-anthem, ‘This is Me’, was licensed for use as the opening song for a Hollywood theater production.
• ‘Stupid Boy’ was placed in a Ricola video featuring ASCAP songwriters; the story is featured in the summer ’07 edition of ASCAP’s Playback Magazine.
• Change was featured in an episode of the hit reality show, The Hills on MTV.
• As the most downloaded artist on the UK based music website Amazing Tunes, April was whisked to London for a private BBC showcase. The performance was deemed an outstanding triumph!
• April’s BBC performance was written up in London’s Metro Weekly, which boasts a readership of over 3 million.
With showcases on the horizon, and no shortage of hit songs in the pipeline, April Start is changing the way people look at pop music. Irresistible, clever and perfectly executed, April proves pop is no longer a dirty word.
John Mayer, Colbie Caillat, Christina Perri